Tuesday, July 15, 2008

How often does a mare go into heat?

Mares are notorious for having inconsistant heat cycles, especially young fillies and mares over the age of 15.

A mare is normally IN heat about a week and OUT of heat for about 2 weeks (14-16 days)


Typically, a mare is in heat (also called "in season") for 4 to 8 days at a time, depending on the time of year and whether or not a stallion is present. "Teasing" by a stallions' presence can bring a mare into heat within a couple of weeks.


In the late winter or early spring, a mare may be in heat the full 8 days while in mid-summer through winter only about 4 days, so how many times per year she is in heat can vary greatly.

No comments:

Please feel free to email me your horse questions and I'll do my best to answer them or at least point you to someone or someplace that can. (Scroll down to the "About Me" section and click on "View my complete profile" to send me an email) I look forward to hearing from you! ~Melanie