Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What age should you wean a foal?

It is best to wait until a foal is at least 6 months of age before weaning. Weaning a foal anytime before that can result in many problems, not just nutritional but psychological as well.


Of course, all mares and foals differ. Most foals will begin to lose interest on their own but if a foal continues to want to nurse, (and the mare allows it), it is completely understandable for a foal to nurse up to 8 months old.


In the wild, mustang mares will often allow their foal to nurse up to 1 year old, or about 2 weeks before she gives birth to her next foal.


In domesticated horses, where people have some control, it's best to not allow a foal to nurse over the age of 8 months due to concerns about the mares health and well being.

No comments:

Please feel free to email me your horse questions and I'll do my best to answer them or at least point you to someone or someplace that can. (Scroll down to the "About Me" section and click on "View my complete profile" to send me an email) I look forward to hearing from you! ~Melanie