Friday, July 4, 2008

What age should you geld (or cut) a stud colt?

It is possible to geld a stud colt shortly after birth but that is not popular nor recommended.

Normally, colts are gelded between 6 months and 2 years of age.

Some colts will begin showing stallion traits at an early age and begin harassing mares or generally making a nuisance of themselves by 6 to 8 months of age. Other colts may not show any signs of wanting to mate until 2 years old.

It's basically a personal choice that depends on your philosophy regarding horse care and training, what you want out of your horse or what you plan to do with them, the individual horses physical and emotional condition, the laws of your state regarding stallions or rules of your boarding facility (if they're boarded), etc.

Whenever you geld your colt, be sure to ask your vet about a tetanus vaccine or booster.

No comments:

Please feel free to email me your horse questions and I'll do my best to answer them or at least point you to someone or someplace that can. (Scroll down to the "About Me" section and click on "View my complete profile" to send me an email) I look forward to hearing from you! ~Melanie