Friday, June 27, 2008

What plants are poisonous to horses?

There is a whole slew of plants that are toxic or poisonous to horses. Some will simply make your horse sick and some can be fatal.

Thankfully, most poisonous plants have a foul or bitter taste and horses will avoid them. (I'm personally convinced that most horses are smart enough to know which plants are "bad").

However, if your horse is on a dry lot or where grazing is scarce, they may be tempted to try some of those plants and it's a good idea to identify the plants and get rid of them.

I'm a very visual person and I like pictures, not just descriptions! So, here is a link to a good, illustrated guide to plants that are known to be toxic or poisonous to horses:

http://wric.ucdavis.edu/information/poisonous.pdf

No comments:

Please feel free to email me your horse questions and I'll do my best to answer them or at least point you to someone or someplace that can. (Scroll down to the "About Me" section and click on "View my complete profile" to send me an email) I look forward to hearing from you! ~Melanie