Friday, June 27, 2008

How can you tell if your horse has eaten a poisonous plant?

Signs of poisoning include:
  1. Colic
  2. Muscle spasms
  3. Tremors (shaking)
  4. Staggering
  5. Difficulty swallowing
  6. Drooling
  7. Irregular heart beat (slower or faster than normal)
  8. Confusion
  9. Unusual spookiness or panicking for no apparent reason
  10. Urinating more than usual or the urine is an abnormal color
A horse may exhibit just one or many of these symptoms. They don't have to show all signs in order to have been poisoned.

If you suspect your horse has been poisoned, do not delay! Call your vet immediately.

No comments:

Please feel free to email me your horse questions and I'll do my best to answer them or at least point you to someone or someplace that can. (Scroll down to the "About Me" section and click on "View my complete profile" to send me an email) I look forward to hearing from you! ~Melanie